The goal of The Alliance's health policy function is to:
- Provide timely and objective information to members,
- Become a resource to public policy makers, and
- Take action on issues that are likely to impact Alliance members and that are consistent with our mission.
Our health policy platform is focused on the following areas:
- Promoting health care quality transparency.
- Aligning incentives to promote greater value.
- Providing tools and support for individuals to become "informed health care consumers".
- Improving the health care marketplace.
Read our Health Policy Platform.
Health Policy Alerts
WI Act 189: Medicaid Reporting Requirement Took Effect Nov. 1, 2012
Senate Bill 487 was signed into law as Wisconsin Act 189 last Spring, replete with an amendment that addresses concerns raised by Alliance member employers. Alliance members have been working with the Department of Health Services via a task force on implementation of the law, which took effect November 1.
We encourage members to discuss this issue with their TPA to ensure they are aware of the new reporting requirements. Questions about WI Act 189 may be directed to DHS Consultant Howard Hosely at 608.224.6059 or via email at VEDSDECoordinator@wisconsin.gov.
Legislation Impacts What Physicians Can or Should Tell Patients
Two pieces of legislation may impact physician-patient communication. One bill stipulates what a doctor is required to disclose to patients, and the other bill addresses statements of sympathy such as "I'm sorry" and whether such statements can be used against a doctor in court. The Alliance has not taken a position on either bill, but encourages members that feel strongly to contact their legislators and share their views. Read more.
Comment on "Pay or Play" regulations. The IRS has released long-awaited proposed rules governing employer responsibility provisions. Read more.
Comment on wellness program regulations. The IRS has proposed regulations concerning wellness program incentives that will become effective starting in 2014. Read more.
ACA Updates - Affordable Care Act
The Alliance provides you with the latest news and legislative briefs to understand how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) may affect your health plan.
- Calls for Comments on IRS Proposed Regulations
- The Alliance Informs State Officials of Exchange Position
- The Alliance and the Consumer Purchaser Disclosure Project Comment on Proposed Rules Regarding Physician Payment and Hospital Reporting
- The Alliance and the National Business Coalition on Health advocate for employer input on Comparative Effectiveness Research projects.
Read more on the ACA Updates page.