Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores
The Leapfrog Group
The Leapfrog Group is a national nonprofit organization that is based in Washington, D.C. that uses the shared leverage of large health care purchasers to initiate improvements in safety, quality, and affordability of health care for Americans. The organization was founded in 2000 with the support of the Business Roundtable and national funders, and is now independently run by its purchasers and members.
The Alliance and The Leapfrog Group
The Alliance acts as a regional leader on behalf of The Leapfrog Group for the state of Wisconsin. As a partner, we are able to use Leapfrog’s measures to provide our members with comparative quality information to help them make informed decisions about where to go for health care. We also use the data for our performance-based reimbursement program, which builds incentives into our provider contracts to improve certain areas of care at hospitals.
Spring 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades Are Now Available
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade rates hospitals on how well they protect their patients from errors, injuries, accidents, and infections. These mistakes harm millions of Americans every year and it is estimated that 1,000 people per day will die due to preventable hospital errors. Each assigned grade of A, B, C, D or F is calculated using peer-reviewed methodology that was created under the guidance of top patient safety experts.
View both key national findings and key Alliance network findings below.
Further reading on safety in health care:
Read these tips on how you can make health care safer. The Leapfrog Group also produced this whitepaper on hidden surcharges and this calculator to help you determine what you as an employer pay as a result of hospital errors.
Key National Findings for Spring 2018
- Continued strong performance from states including Rhode Island, Hawaii, Wisconsin, and Idaho which once ranked near the bottom of the state rankings of percentage of “A” hospitals but now rank in the top ten
- 46 hospitals have achieved an “A” for the first time since the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade began six years ago
- 89 hospitals receiving an “A” at one point had received a “D” or “F”
Key Alliance Network Hospital Findings for Spring 2018
- Out of the 49 hospitals graded within The Alliance network, 18 (37%) received an “A,” 16 (33%) received a “B,” 14 (28%) received a “C”, one hospital received a “D” and zero hospitals received an “F.”
- Additionally, six hospitals earned the “Straight A” designation: Monroe Clinic, UW Health University Hospital, Central DuPage Hospital, Centegra Hospital – McHenry, OSF St. Joseph Medical Center and OSF St. Mary Medical Center.
- There are over 100 hospitals in The Alliance network and some of them do not appear on the list, which means not enough data is available to accurately calculate a grade for these hospitals. In most cases, this is because hospitals with designation as a “critical-access hospital” are not required to submit data to CMS, which is one of the sources of the data used in the Leapfrog grades.
The report card for The Alliance in-network hospitals is listed below.
Ascension NE Wisconsin - St. Elizabeth Hospital
Ascension NE Wisconsin - St. Elizabeth Hospital
Aspirus Riverview Hospital
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
Aspirus Wausau Hospital
Beloit Memorial Hospital
Centegra Hospital - McHenry
Centegra Hospital - Woodstock
Central DuPage Hospital
CGH Medical Center
Columbia St. Mary's Hospital - Milwaukee
Columbia St. Mary's Hospital - Ozaukee
Delnor Community Hospital
FHN Memorial Hospital
Fort Memorial Hospital
Fort Atkinson, Wis.
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
La Crosse, Wis.
Howard Young Medical Center
HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital
Eau Claire, Wis.
Illinois Valley Community Hospital
Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital
Kishwaukee Community Hospital
Marshfield Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center of Dubuque
Mercy Medical Center - Clinton
UnityPoint Health - Meriter Hospital
Midwest Orthopedic Specialty Hospital
Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital
OSF St. Anthony Medical Center
OSF St. Elizabeth Medical Center
OSF St. Francis Medical Center of Peoria
OSF St. Joseph Medical Center
OSF St. Mary Medical Center
Rockford Memorial Hospital
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Janesville
SSM Health St. Mary Medical Center
St. Agnes Hospital
Fond du Lac, Wis.
St. Clare's Hospital
Swedish American Hospital
University of Illinois Hospital & Health
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
Watertown Regional Medical Center
Waukesha Memorial Hospital
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - All Saints Hospital
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - St. Francis Hospital
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - Elmbrook Memorial Campus
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - Franklin Hospital
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - St. Joseph's Campus