Past Event: Feb. 2018 Alliance Learning Circle
Obesity rates and the related health care costs continue to rise. In the United States two-thirds of adults and one-third of children struggle with being overweight or obese. In Wisconsin alone, obesity is linked to more than 60 chronic diseases that push up the cost of employer sponsored benefits. Obesity is called a gateway condition because it can lead to heart disease, diabetes and hypertension.
Employers have a vital role in reducing these rates through workplace culture and benefits. But how do employers approach employees who may be at risk without being invasive? What else can employers do to move beyond existing wellness programs and benefit plan design?
The Alliance will bring together facts, health benefit plan design ideas, wellness program approaches and employer examples that show how to reduce the obesity rate in the workplace as multi-stakeholders participate in a facilitated discussion with presentations.
- Jon Morgan, Wisconsin Department Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit
- Jocelyn Kerl, Clinical Services Manager, Pharm D, National CooperativeRx
- Dr. Anne Lidor, Bariatric Surgeon, UW Health
- Melanie Nelson, Owner, Good Food Low Carb Cafe
- Pam Geis, Wisconsin Department Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit, National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Nar Ramkissoon, Partner Development Strategy, American Medical Association