The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade rates hospitals on how well they protect their patients from errors, injuries, accidents, and infections. These mistakes harm millions of Americans every year and it is estimated that 1,000 people per day will die due to preventable hospital errors. Each assigned grade of A, B, C, D or F is calculated using peer-reviewed methodology that was created under the guidance of top patient safety experts.
The results are in for Spring 2017 and we have updated our Find a Doctor transparency tool with these new grades. Employer members of The Alliance and their employees will be able to view the grades while performing searches on Find a Doctor. View both key national findings and key Alliance network findings below.
Key National Findings
- Of the 2,639 hospitals rated, 823 earned an “A,” 706 earned a “B,” 933 earned a “C,” 167 earned a “D” and 10 earned an “F”.
- The five states with the highest percentage of “A” hospitals this spring are Maine, Hawaii, Oregon, Wisconsin and Idaho.
Key Alliance Network Hospital Findings
- Out of the 37 hospitals graded within The Alliance network, 27 (73%) received an “A,” three (8%) received a “B,” six (16%) received a “C”, one hospital received a “D” and zero hospitals received an “F.”
- Additionally, eight hospitals earned the “Straight A” designation: Beaver Dam Community Hospital, Monroe Clinic, UW Health University Hospital, Central DuPage Hospital, Centegra Hospital – McHenry, Finley Hospital, OSF St. Joseph Medical Center and OSF St. Mary Medical Center.
- Fifty-eight in-network hospitals do not appear on the list, which means not enough data is available to accurately calculate a grade for these hospitals. In most cases, this is because hospitals designated as a “critical-access hospital” are not required to submit data to CMS, which is one of the sources of the data used in the Leapfrog grades.
The report card for The Alliance in-network hospitals is listed below.
|Hospital Name||City, State||April 2017 Letter Grade|
|Aspirus Riverview Hospital||Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.||A|
|Aspirus Wausau Hospital||Wausau, Wis.||C|
|Beaver Dam Community Hospitals, Inc.||Beaver Dam, Wis.||A|
|Beloit Memorial Hospital||Beloit, Wis.||A|
|Centegra Hospital – McHenry||McHenry, Ill.||A|
|Centegra Hospital – Woodstock||Woodstock, Ill.||A|
|Central DuPage Hospital||Winfield, Ill.||A|
|CGH Medical Center||Sterling, Ill.||B|
|Delnor Community Hospital||Geneva, Ill.||A|
|FHN Memorial Hospital||Freeport, Ill.||B|
|Finley Hospital||Dubuque, Iowa||A|
|Fort Memorial Hospital||Fort Atkinson, Wis.||A|
|Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center||La Crosse, Wis.||A|
|Illinois Valley Community Hospital||Peru, Ill.||C|
|Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital||Dixon, Ill.||C|
|Kishwaukee Community Hospital||DeKalb, Ill.||A|
|Mercy Hospital||Janesville, Wis.||A|
|Mercy Medical Center of Dubuque||Dubuque, Iowa||A|
|Mercy Medical Center – Clinton||Clinton, Iowa||A|
|UnityPoint Health – Meriter Hospital||Madison, Wis.||A|
|Monroe Clinic||Monroe, Wis.||A|
|Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital||Oconomowoc, Wis.||A|
|OSF St. Anthony Medical Center||Rockford, Ill.||B|
|OSF St. Elizabeth Medical Center||Ottowa, Ill.||A|
|OSF St. Francis Medical Center of Peoria||Peoria, Ill.||C|
|OSF St. Joseph Medical Center||Bloomington, Ill.||A|
|OSF St. Mary Medical Center||Galesburg, Ill.||A|
|Rockford Memorial Hospital||Rockford, Ill.||C|
|Saint James Hospital – John W. Albrecht Medical Center||Pontiac, Ill.||A|
|St. Agnes Hospital||Fond du Lac, Wis.||A|
|SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital Madison||Madison, Wis.||A|
|SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital Janesville||Janesville, Wis.||A|
|Swedish American Hospital||Rockford, Ill.||C|
|University of Illinois Hospital & Health||Chicago, Ill.||D|
|University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics||Madison, Wis.||A|
|Watertown Regional Medical Center||Watertown, Wis.||A|
|Waukesha Memorial Hospital||Waukesha, Wis.||A|