Sam has been struggling with pain in his knees for years. At age 51, he felt he was too young to have a joint replacement.
Hospitals and Doctors
QualityPath identifies hospitals and doctors that – when working together – meet or exceed national standards for delivering quality care for total hip replacement, knee replacement and coronary artery bypass graft (CABG).
With help from his primary care physician *Sam tried many things to keep from having surgery:
- Taking medicine to help reduce the inflammation in his joints
- Attending physical therapy sessions to do his best to be as strong and flexible as possible to support his knee joints – followed by exercises he did at home and in the local community center fitness center
- Receiving injections into the knee joint to help relieve the pain and inflammation
- When the pain got really bad, Sam starting taking a narcotic
This is when the doctor said “There is no putting this off any more, Sam. It’s time to see an orthopedic surgeon.”
Sam and his family agreed it was time. But now what? What surgeon? What hospital? Who is really good at this? The stress of this major decision, along with the constant knee pain, was a real struggle.
*Sam’s name has been changed to protect his privacy.
The answer: QualityPath® Doctor and Hospital pairings
QualityPath aims to “arm you with information” (and your family too!) to help you get the best outcome and lower your stress level. QualityPath can connect you with doctors and hospitals that, when working together, meet or exceed quality standards. These standards measure the care that leads to better outcomes with fewer complications.
Currently, QualityPath offers three procedures:
- Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (heart bypass surgery)
If your employer participates in QualityPath, you can take advantage of all the benefits it provides. For example, QualityPath:
- Has negotiated a “bundled” price with your hospital and physician team.
- Covers the cost of your entire procedure from beginning to end, with no out-of-pocket expense to you for all eligible expenses.
- It also includes a warranty for 90 days after your surgery.
Please call me to find out more about QualityPath so you may enjoy the benefits of “no-more-knee-pain” as our patient, Sam did.
“The rest of the story” (as Paul Harvey would say!)
Sam went on to get both of his knees replaced – 6 weeks apart. While Sam was unable to use QualityPath to guide his decision – it didn’t exist at the time – he says it would have made his decision easier.
Thanks to his surgery, Sam was able to stop using narcotics for joint pain shortly after his surgeries. It has made an incredible difference in his life and the lives of his family members. He was able to walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day with NO pain in his knees or a grimace on his face.
If you are at the point where you are considering a joint replacement or coronary artery bypass graft, please call me to learn more about QualityPath. I look forward to visiting with you.
How to Find QualityPath Doctors
To find a QualityPath doctor for your surgery, click on this link: Find a Doctor.
I have included a sample screen below so you can see what it looks like:
Next, log in or create an account.
I encourage you to set up an account, as this website will automatically show the results that are available to you under your employer’s health plan. This will include cost estimates and quality ratings for certain procedures.
Here’s an example of the Create an Account > Log-In screen:
Look for the heading that says “Search by…” Underneath that are four choices. Click on the one that says “Quality Score.” A drop-down menu will appear. Click on the procedure you are considering. (For the sake of our patient, Sam, we are looking up knee replacement.) Then click on the large “SEARCH” button at the bottom.
For easy reference, see the screen below.
The QualityPath hospital and physician pairings that are designated to perform a knee replacement are displayed at the top of the list. See below:
Read Margie's latest posts.
Latest posts by Margie Czechowicz, RN, BSN, CCM
- Embracing Powerful Patients in QualityPath - June 14, 2016
- QualityPath Success Story: Knee Surgery Patient has ‘Amazing’ Experience - September 14, 2015
- Infographic Shows QualityPath Journey - April 28, 2015