The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade rates hospitals on how well they protect their patients from errors, injuries, accidents and infections. These mistakes harm millions of Americans every year and it is estimated that 1,000 people per day will die due to preventable hospital errors. Each assigned grade of A, B, C, D or F is calculated using peer-reviewed methodology that was created under the guidance of top patient safety experts.
The results are in for Fall 2017 and we have updated our Find a Doctor transparency tool with these new grades. View both key national findings and key Alliance network findings below.
Key National Findings
- Of the 2,632 hospitals graded in the update, 832 earned an “A,” 662 a “B,” 964 a “C,” 159 a “D” and 15 an “F”
- Oregon, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Wisconsin and Idaho showed the most improvement over the five-year period since the inception of the Hospital Safety Grade, with the most dramatic being Rhode Island, which was ranked 50th in 2012 and ranked first today. Other states with significant improvement include Oregon, going from 48th in 2012 to eighth today, Hawaii from 36th to third, Wisconsin from 44th to sixth, and Idaho from 19th to fourth.
- Impressively, 59 hospitals nationwide have achieved an “A” in every scoring update since the launch of the Safety Grade in Spring 2012
Key Alliance Network Hospital Findings
- Out of the 38 hospitals graded within The Alliance network, 25 (66 percent) received an “A,” six (16 percent) received a “B,” seven (18 percent) received a “C”, and zero hospitals received a “D” or an “F.”
- Additionally, seven hospitals earned the “Straight A” designation: Beaver Dam Community Hospital, Monroe Clinic, UW Health University Hospital, Central DuPage Hospital, Centegra Hospital – McHenry, OSF St. Joseph Medical Center and OSF St. Mary Medical Center.
- Sixty-one in-network hospitals do not appear on the list, which means not enough data is available to accurately calculate a grade for these hospitals. In most cases, this is because hospitals designated as a “critical-access hospital” are not required to submit data to CMS, which is one of the sources of the data used in the Leapfrog grades.
The report card for The Alliance in-network hospitals is listed below.
Aspirus Riverview Hospital
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
Beloit Memorial Hospital
Central DuPage Hospital
Divine Savior Healthcare
Fort Memorial Hospital
Fort Atkinson, Wis.
Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital
UnityPoint Health - Meriter Hospital
OSF St. Anthony Medical Center
OSF St. Joseph Medical Center
St. Agnes Hospital
Fond du Lac, Wis.
Swedish American Hospital
Watertown Regional Medical Center
Aspirus Wausau Hospital
Centegra Hospital - McHenry
CGH Medical Center
FHN Memorial Hospital
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
La Crosse, Wis.
Kishwaukee Community Hospital
Mercy Medical Center of Dubuque
OSF St. Elizabeth Medical Center
OSF St. Mary Medical Center
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
University of Illinois Hospital & Health
Waukesha Memorial Hospital
Beaver Dam Community Hospitals, Inc.
Beaver Dam, Wis.
Centegra Hospital - Woodstock
Delnor Community Hospital
Illinois Valley Community Hospital
Marshfield Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center - Clinton
Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital
OSF St. Francis Medical Center of Peoria
Rockford Memorial Hospital
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Janesville
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics