Can employers be the “super-heroes” of health benefits? Sally Welborn thinks so.
Welborn is the former senior vice president of Global Benefits for Walmart Stores Inc., where she was responsible for overseeing benefit programs for more than 2.2 million Walmart associates and their families. She now works as a health benefits consultant.
At The Alliance Annual Seminar on May 17, Welborn will talk about “Employers as the Super-Heroes of Health Benefits.” The Alliance asked Welborn to speak after staff members brought back enthusiastic reports of her presentations to other groups of health care purchasers.
“Paying for Bad Health” and Other Quotes
Our staff was so impressed by Welborn’s remarks that they took careful notes. Here’s a list of the favorite quotes collected when she spoke at the National Healthcare Rating Summit in December 2017.
- “We’re all paying for bad health care and we don’t have a choice.”
- “If we didn’t reduce cost and increase quality, we’re just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.”
- “If you’re going to be a hospital, get good at it. Don’t kill people.”
At the Midwest Business Group on Health’s (MBGH’s) 37th Annual Conference in May 2017, Welborn said Walmart’s program to steer employees to high-quality cancer care revealed that 28 percent of patients had earlier experienced inappropriate treatment or a missed diagnosis. In some cases, employees who used the program learned they did not actually have cancer.
Here are more highlights from her remarks at that event:
- “The worst dollar spent is the dollar spent on care that shouldn’t be delivered.”
- When the wrong care is delivered, the biggest cause is “clinicians who think they are a hammer and everything is a nail.”
- “You have to change the system, one thing at a time.”
There’s More to Hear
The May 17 Annual Seminar will also feature:
- Elisabeth Rosenthal, author of the bestseller An American Sickness, who will focus on what employers and patients can do to “take back” health care. Read her rules of the dysfunctional health care marketplace.
- Presentation of the 2018 Health Transformation Awards to recognize at the May 17 event, The Alliance will also recognize individuals and organizations who are working to change health care and health benefits.
The Annual Seminar is our biggest employer-focused event of the year. The event is free but registration is required. Start your journey to super-hero status by registering now.
- Read Dr. Elisabeth Rosenthal’s “Economic Rules of the Dysfunctional Medical Marketplace.”
- Learn about the Health Transformation Award.
- Check our full calendar of upcoming events.
In addition to her work at The Alliance, Teri serves on the leadership team for a Collaboration Development grant awarded to Mental Health America of Wisconsin, as an advisory council member for the Wisconsin Initiative to Promote Healthy Lifestyles (WIPHL), serves on the Wisconsin Coalition for OpenNotes committee, a product development committee member for the National Alliance of Health Care Purchaser Coalitions and is also a member of the American Marketing Association. Teri received her bachelor's degree in communication arts from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
Latest posts by Teri Van Tassel
- What’s New and What’s Next at The Alliance? - March 13, 2018
- Are You an Employer Super-Hero? - March 6, 2018
- Get the ‘Economic Rules of the Dysfunctional Medical Marketplace’ from our Annual Seminar Speaker - January 23, 2018